Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Gift


This layout was inspired by a challenge that was recently held over at Made With Love, where the scrappers had to use at least three different fabric materials and include some form of stitching on their layouts. I didn't enter the challenge but felt compelled to try this, just for the fun of it. I used five different types of ribbons / laces here as well as patterned fabric paper, and hand-embroidered the title (and nearly died doing so - haha!).

The title of this layout holds great meaning for me because my older DD (that's her baby photo on the layout) was born prematurely following major medical complications on my part, and our gynaecologist always referred to her as a "miracle baby" - a gift from God. Hence, "The Gift".

The journaling was taken from one of my favourite songs by one of my favourite singer-composers - "The Gift" by Midge Ure, formerly from the British group Ultravox. For those who are unaware, Midge Ure was the one who, together with Bob Geldof, founded the Band Aid / Live Aid movement in 1984, to raise funds for famine relief in Ethiopia. The journaling reads:

"And when they ask what prize I treasure most
What legacy I cherish
I say from the heart
The passion and art
That's the gift that you gave"

Materials used:
Patterned paper - Amanda Blu
Cardstock - Bazzill
Others - Ribbons, Lace, Pearls, Patterned Fabric Paper, Ranger Stickles, Tim Holtz Distress Ink, Versa Fine Pigment Ink, Birch Embroidery Thread

No comments: